Tuesday, January 8, 2019

2018 Recap, 2019 Look Ahead

Save 10% on any race in the Rite Cleveland Marathon series
with code EG2019!


Last year, 2018, was full of new running challenges for me.  I decided in December of 2017, I would attempt 12 marathons in 12 months.  I was coming off of a DNF at the Leadville 100 in August, both bummed I was unable to complete it and amazed I was able to make it through 70ish miles of running through and over the Sawatch Range of the Rocky Mountains.  I had never taken on a challenge that involved this many races in a calendar year, let alone so many marathons.  For me this was a chance to see what I could do, knowing full well this would take up a lot of my free time and weekends.

With 2018 in the rear view mirror, I can say I finished 7 marathons and 3 races of other distances.  The biggest factor that held me back from running 3 races was time.  Family has to come first, yes even over running, and trying to balance these two was always tough.  Time has finite limits and skipping out on time with those who matter is not an option, running can always be done at a later date.  The two other marathons I skipped out on was simply due to lack of recovery or injury.  While I enjoy running and pride myself on being able to go for running for long periods, I'm not a professional and avoiding injury is always my number one goal.  In the end, I still need to be able to go to work and pay my bills.

Here are my races from 2018:

2018 Marathons:
Run for Regis - 1/20/18 - 5:00:52 (2nd overall, 1st male)
                          - ran self supported due to a government shutdown.
Olde Girlded Grit - 2/24/18 - 4:40:17 (7th overall, 7th male)
Glass City Marathon - 4/22/18 - 3:48:06 (435th overall, 308th male) PR!
Pro Football Hall of Fame Marathon - 4/29/18 - 3:59:28 (213th overall, 163rd male)
Flying Pig Marathon - 5/6/18 - DNS - time issue
Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon - 5/20/18 - 3:56:49 (568th overall, 418th male) 2nd fastest time ever!
Youngstown Marathon - 6/3/18 - time issue
Mohican Marathon - 6/16/18 - 5:14:14 (14th overall, 10th male)
Air Force Marathon - 9/15/18 - DNS - inured/recovering
Akron Marathon - 9/29/15 - DNS - inured/recovering
Towpath Marathon - 10/7/18 - 4:29:28 - (89th overall, 59th male)
                           - reaggravated hip injury, officially end race season
Columbus Marathon - 10/21/18 - DNS - time issue

2018 Other Races:
Buzzard Trail Race 25k - 3/17/18 - 2:34:57 (8th overall, 8th male)
Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon 8k Challenge Series - 40:04 (65th overall, 51st male)
Leave No Trace Half Marathon - 8/31/18 - 2:14:00 (44th overall, 39th male)
                           - hip injury aggravated during this race, cut down from the full marathon mid race

Pretty happy with my results overall, other than the little bit of injury that slowed me in prime fall racing season.  Any year I can set my two fastest times in a marathon, I'm happy with the results. The pleasant surprise of the year for me was seeing how highly I placed in the trail races.  This clearly reflects the amount of time I spend running trails and my love for this venue. Some other highlights include: setting a near PR at the Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon while running the race with friend to her first marathon finish, setting a personal record for the most marathons done in one year,

I'm sad to hear that the Run for Regis is now canceled due to changes in how the National Park Services allows for use of certain areas of the Cuyahoga Valley. I hate seeing the government stop a sport that has so many supporters of it's services, but they did cite some valid reasons as to why.

2019...

I've decided to tackle some new challenges and start doing more diverse races.  Here are my immediate goal races for 2019.  I also hope to do a race or two with my wife, one with my dogs and tackle some ultramarathons.

Here is what my rough calendar looks like as of 1/8/19:

February: Olde Girdled Grit Half Marathon
March: Buzzard Day Trail Race 50k
May: Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon Challenge Series (Full Marathon and 8k) GOAL: PR
June: Mohican 50, (maybe also the Green Jewel 25k)
July: Burning River 100 (backup in case I am not fortunate enough to make Leadville), Muddy Paws 2 Mile Dog Run
August: Leadville 100 (pending the lottery of course) GOAL: FINISH
September: Northcoast 24 hour Endurance Run (backup to the previous two races)
December: Regal Beagle 50k or 25k


There will hopefully be some smaller races throughout, but this calendar will keep me enjoying the outdoors and all Ohio has to offer, with some possible high altitude racing as well.  I'm always one to aim high but I think everything listed is achievable.

Who's going to talk me into other/more races?

So here's to a new year of running in 2019!




No comments:

Post a Comment